Thursday, September 17, 2026

Town Hall Meeting - Maria Weston Chapman

 

Photo from the Abolitionist Movement. 

To my fellow citizens,

I write concerning an evil that burdens both the conscience and the character of our nation. Slavery is not merely a subject for political debate, nor is it an unfortunate practice that may be corrected whenever the public finds it convenient.

 It is a direct violation of liberty, justice, and human dignity. No person can rightfully claim ownership over another, and no prosperous society can call itself free while it holds human beings in bondage.

I was born in Weymouth, Massachusetts, in 1806. Through education and experience, I came to understand that opportunity carries responsibility. 

When one recognizes injustice, it is not enough to object to it privately. 

Conscience must be followed by action. For this reason, I have devoted my voice, my writing, and my labor to the abolitionist cause.

America declares its devotion to liberty, yet enslaved men, women, and children are deprived of control over their labor, their families, and their futures. 


This contradiction cannot be excused by custom, profit, or law. An injustice does not become honorable simply because it has existed for many years, and it does not become acceptable because powerful people benefit from it.

Some insist that slavery must be abolished gradually. I reject that position. If slavery is wrong, then its continuation cannot be defended for another year, month, or day. In my pamphlet How Can I Help to Abolish Slavery?, I supported the demand for“immediate, unconditional emancipation, without expatriation.” 

By these words, I meant that enslaved people should be freed without conditions and that Black Americans should not be forced to leave the nation in order to receive the liberty that is already their natural right. 

I have called abolition“this grandest undertaking of any age,” an effort to“elevate a whole people in the scale of moral being.” The work is grand because it seeks not only to break physical chains, but also to confront the prejudice, selfishness, and moral indifference that allow those chains to remain. 

The abolition of slavery requires the American people to examine their own conduct and to place justice above wealth, social approval, and political advantage.

I have also witnessed individuals and institutions attempt to benefit from the antislavery cause while avoiding its clearest demands. I condemned those who sought“to make capital for themselves out of the sacred cause of human rights.” Abolition must never become a means of gaining personal influence or political power. 

The purpose of the movement is the liberation of the enslaved, not the advancement of those who claim to speak on their behalf. 

My service to this cause has taken several forms. I have written and edited antislavery publications, organized fairs to raise funds, and worked with other women in the Boston Female Anti-Slavery Society. Through such efforts, we have attempted to inform the public, support abolitionist work, and awaken the nation’s conscience.

Women are often instructed to remain outside public affairs, as though moral responsibility belongs only to men. I cannot accept such a limitation. 

When human beings are suffering, no person of conscience has the right to remain silent. I have urged,“Let us rise in the moral power of womanhood; and give utterance to the voice of outraged mercy, and insulted justice, and eternal truth, and mighty love and holy freedom.” 

These words express my belief that women possess both the moral power and the solemn duty to oppose oppression. 

The defense of freedom sometimes demands courage in the presence of danger. In 1835, when a hostile mob threatened an antislavery meeting, I declared,“If this is the last bulwark of freedom, we may as well die here as anywhere.” I did not speak those words because I was without fear. 

I spoke because the right to assemble, speak, and defend the oppressed must be protected most firmly when it is being attacked. 

I believe that abolition also requires a transformation of national character. As I have said,“Slavery can only be abolished by raising the character of the people who compose the nation; and that can be done only by showing them a higher one.”

 Laws are necessary, but laws alone cannot remove the prejudice and selfishness upon which slavery depends. 

The American people must be persuaded to recognize a higher moral standard and to understand that another person’s freedom is not a threat to their own.

Therefore, I call upon every citizen to consider what may be done. Read the testimony of those who have suffered under slavery. 

Maria Weston Chapman 
Support honest antislavery publications and organizations. Speak against prejudice in your family, congregation, and community. 

Refuse to allow comfort or convenience to overcome conscience.

Above all, do not surrender when the labor becomes difficult.“Grudge no expense, yield to no opposition, forget fatigue,” until the spirit of love overcomes oppression. 

The cause of human freedom demands perseverance, sacrifice, and moral courage. 

I am Maria Weston Chapman, and I stand firmly against slavery. I maintain that freedom is not a favor to be granted by the powerful, but a natural right belonging to every human being. Until that right is secured for all, the demands of justice remain unanswered and our work remains unfinished.


AI Disclosure: AI was used in the making of this blog post in order to talk about the life and work of Maria Weston Chapman, I used AI to help analyze quotes and works by Maria Weston Chapman in order to construct a blog post in the first person. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mock Trial Notes

Students Arguing the Case as the States Lawyers.  Imagine being punished for surviving.  That's the paradox at the heart of State v. Man...